What is body percussion?
Body Percussion is traced back to the mines of South Africa, where miners communicated with each other using sounds and rhythms. You can make music even without instruments because your body is an instrument! Your body acts like a drum-kit which means you can create amazing rhythms through clap, snap, stomp and slap and more. So, the main movements that we use at African Beat are:
- Clicking the fingers
- Clapping the hands
- Patting or knocking the chest
- Patting the thighs with open palms
- Stamping the feet on the floor
It’s a bonding exercise
Have you ever seen a group of people working together to produce the same rhythm? It’s unifying, electrifying, and above all fun, all rolled into one. Body percussion is a quick technique and also one of the simplest ways of experiencing elation in a large group of people because there’s no setup or equipment.
This team building activity utilises your body as a source of percussion! Your team will come together as they slap, clap, click, stomp, and even bump their way to a universal rhythm. It’s a very versatile way to energise, connect, and motivate people, particularly if you are short of time.
Free Body Percussion for Team Building Resource
We are African Beat! First of all, we have 15 years experience in organising Team Building and Incentive events for small, medium, large & also huge companies. Our sessions are a fail-safe way to get the entire audience involved and moving to the rhythm because of the energising beats and rhythms generated. Our Body Percussion session will get your audience to move in unity and create a very unique and powerful experience of togetherness which they will certainly remember for a lifetime!
Download our FREE Body Percussion Team Building Video
- Total inclusion – Anyone and everyone can participate, irrespective of culture, language, age or fitness level. Above all, no previous musical experience is required!
- Lack of competition – Body Percussion does not create divisions between participants so no one loses out or is humiliated.
- Stress release – This creative process releases natural endorphins hence people relax and just have some fun time.
- Long-lasting effects – Most people that have participated in our team building body percussion activity say that memories of the activity stay with them for a long time. We make sure that the audience will have a memorable and fun experience.
Word of warning… The one thing that you need to worry about is your staff taking off on world tours with their new air band!
When to use body percussion?
One of the main features is its appropriateness to a broad range of occasions, including:
- team building events
- team meetings
- meeting and conference openings
- corporate away-days
- conference and meeting energisers
- management and leadership training
- motivational events
- corporate parties
- product launches
Therefore, the best part is, you don’t need an instrument to make music — you always have a hand clap just an arm’s length away (drum roll, please!)
African Beat are leaders in African Style Body Percussion. In fact, our Performers (including Master Drummer Tuza – the Artistic Director of African Beat) have been playing percussion all their life.
We specialise in providing inclusive events for team building and corporate entertainment. In our vast experience, we have successfully delivered plenty of team building events, involving thousands of participants from around the globe. We give emphasis to the activities that are enjoyable by everyone. Body Percussion brings people together, and the effects last for a long time.